YayBlogger.com
BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Snip-Its

...So it has officially started...late last night Arley started losing her hair...
Originally I didn't think it was too big of a deal because it appeared to just be her ends splitting so I really didn't pay much attention to it. Well, it wasn't until I got home from work today (my first day back in almost a month!) just how serious the hair loss is. Thankfully it wasn't coming out in clumps as I am sure that would've freaked her out, but the hair was falling out rapidly enough for me to question what to do about it.

A friend of mine whom I trust very much was supposed to do it, unfortunately she was very busy with her own business that she couldn't see Arley until tomorrow, but with a scheduling conflict for myself I needed to act right away. (Sorry hun!) So I took Arley to a kid friendly hair salon and told them what I wanted done.

The whole ride over my stomach was in knots. I knew this was coming, they said it would. They even said it should start around week three (which we are in), but I still wasn't prepared and don't think I ever would have been regardless. 

Arley did so good and I'm very proud of her. She sat so still and hardly moved an inch and not a single peep was made from her. However I felt really bad for the hair stylist because as she was combing Arley's hair to get it just so to cut, hair was just coming out like you wouldn't even believe.

This broke my heart and inside I was crying, but refused to do so in front of Arley as not to upset her. Her little bob/pixie cut looks super adorable on her, but it won't be too much longer until she will probably need a full shave. 

Her hair is still falling out all over the place. She was recently sitting in my lap and my whole shirt is covered with strands of her hair. My hair sheds too especially when I am due for a trim, but not even mine comes out as fast as hers. 

Also her scalp is itchy which we were warned about so she definitely knows that there is some kind of issue going on and I just wish I could make it all better for her.

At our recent shopping trip I purchased a few hats from Gymboree but I am thinking of buying some more. I have a $10/off reward coupon as well as a 20%/off coupon to combine so I figured I will get her some more hats while I can. Also have some super cute hair bows that I plan on putting on her too. Can't wait to show you all what those look like!

Now I know hair is something completely superficial to be worried about, but I am. While one could argue "Oh it will grow back," "It will come back thicker, curlier, darker" yadda yadda that's not the point. (And I wish people would keep the comment to themselves) Just because it will grow back doesn't mean it won't suck in the meantime. I have loved my daughters long golden locks and now they are gone. 

I'm also afraid of the judgement. Kids can be so cruel and they have no filter because they just don't understand things like this. I'm worried about how my nephews will react and some of Arley's playdate friends. Thankfully though two of Arleys best friends are boys so I'm hoping they just think that Arley looks like them and isn't any different. Which is easier to hope because they are her age, it's the older kids I'm worried about and Arley knows several. 

I don't want to put any parents into awkward positions who are not ready to discuss serious illnesses with their kids yet. I wish rather than needing a guide to becoming a new parent I wish there was a guide with how to explain illnesses that could potentially pop up, but then not sure how much good that would do either because if you ever met a pregnant woman they are always filled with 10,000 emotions. 

But since no such guide really exists I took it upon myself to buy my nephews the following book:



And I would like to encourage people to read it to their children even if they don't know someone personally touched with cancer, unfortunately someday they will. I bought this book at my local Barnes & Noble bookstore, but I'm sure it could be found in other stores or online sites as well. This one just seemed the most interesting, but there are others out there.

As mentioned the other day Arley has been losing weight and I have noticed that her normally chubby cheeks are starting to thin themselves out and she seems to be getting smaller. Her doctors and I are keeping a close eye on it, but the thought of her needing a G Tube is beginning to worry me as well.

Again, all I can continue to do is take one day at a time with her and continue to hope for the best and hope for the continued strength to get us through this. Someone also recently asked me if I planned on getting her a wig and the answer is no. She's too young in my eyes to need one and we are approaching the summer months so I don't think it would be necessary anyways. If she was at a school age I very well may consider it, or just wait until she approached me with the subject but alas hats and bows will have to suffice for now.

Well I am off for now but I will be back soon. Until next time enjoy these photos from her haircut... xoxo








2 comments:

  1. Aww, her new hair is adorable!! She is rocking it! While some kids *CAN* be mean, there are also other kids out there that are also kind, and loving. You'd be surprised how open-minded some kids can be compared to some adults (I've learned this from being Deaf). :) Arley is just so precious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind words Ashley, they mean a lot to the both of us. I do love her new hair too. Her hair is still falling out a lot so I give this about a week before we probably have to move on to a different look for her.

    ReplyDelete